Most of the times, we need to share files and folders from our home machine to the virtual machine. To do this, follow the following steps:
- On the main VirtualBox window, click the Devices menu then select Shared Folders.
- Click the button at the upper right of the Shared Folders dialog box to add a shared folder. For example, share the /home/username/SharedFolder.
- Browse the path to the folder you would like to share.
- Type in a folder name for it (like SharedFolder) then click the OK button.
- Click the OK button in the Shared folders dialog box.
- Go to the virtual OS. On a Windows virtual OS, click the Start button then click Run.
- Type in cmd to open up the command-line terminal.
- Type net use x: \\vboxsvr\SharedFolder where SharedFolder is the name of the shared folder and x: is the drive name you want to assign to the shared folder.
- Press the Enter key and then exit the command prompt. After the above steps, you will see the shared folder as a network drive under My Computer.